
Copper is Brett's dog - one hundred percent.
He always has been.
Copper loves to play Frisbee with Brett. Brett can throw the Aerobie for Copper from our back yard clear across the golf fairway, and Copper chases after it with top speed. Copper loves that game, and it has proven to be the best and easiest way to exercise him. He will keep on chasing the Aerobie throw after throw. Afterwards, he'll sprawl out on the kitchen floor panting so loudly that I can't hear myself think. However, he only wants to play with Brett. If I try throwing the Aerobie for Copper he might trot out to retrieve it. But his heart isn't in the game, and he usually gives up after one or two throws.
But, I know Copper loves me too. About halfway through the school year I started bringing Copper to the bus stop every morning. Copper starts getting excited as soon as I put Todd's lunch in his backpack and zip it up. Nothing distracts Copper from coming with me--even Brett. There were a number of times in the afternoon when Brett would be home working in the garage when it was time for Todd to come home from school. Brett would try to trick Copper into staying with him rather than coming along with me. I won every time.
It was also evident that Copper loves me a week or so ago when we had a strong thunderstorm in the wee hours of the morning. Copper has become more sensitive to storms with each passing year, and I woke up to find Copper climbing all over me. This is not behavior that I generally tolerate. Though Brett tried to call Copper over to him (and off of me), Copper would not budge. He was determined to find comfort from the nurturer of the family--Mama. Although he woke me up from a good sleep and it took a little while for him to settle back down, I will admit that it warmed my heart that I was the one he looked to to calm his fears.
So, maybe Copper is not 100% Brett's. Maybe he's 15% mine, too.
1 comment:
Aww. You're a mama dog! Just like me and Jenni. ;)
I must admit, the dogs listen to Mike better, but I, too, am the one they go to when they need comfort or love. So I know how you feel!
Post a Comment