Sunday, April 5, 2009

Baby Wrens

An update on the baby wrens--they hatched about a week ago. They have grown quite a bit, but are still quite ugly. I didn't realize how much time the momma still spent sitting on them after they hatched. It makes sense, considering that they are still so tiny and hairless. The mommy and daddy wrens have been dutifully catching bugs and feeding the little babies.

I think the babies are now able to eat the bugs whole. In fact, Brett bought some meal worms and set up a little tray by the nest. He occasionally puts some worms in there, and the wrens quickly snatch them up and feed them to the babies.

It is so cool to watch the momma at work. She grabs a bug, flits around the garage, makes her way back to the nest, gives a short chirp to wake up the babies (this is when they start squeaking), then she feeds them the bug and starts looking for more food. And I thought nursing a newborn every two hours was difficult. This momma has no me-time.

No comments: